Thursday 6 October 2016

Nothing to write home about

I like to blog when I feel I have something to say. Perhaps something interesting has happened which has challenged the way I think about things. Perhaps one of the children has learnt in a different style to that which I would expect. Perhaps there has been a situation where I have had to 'live by faith and not by sight', putting what I know to be true ahead of what is immediately staring me in the face. Often I like to write about encouragements, obstacles overcome, difficulties resolved.

Lately, I have felt that there hasn't been so much to say. We are living in a reasonably nice pattern - the daily routine stays much the same, we are progressing through our curriculum at the expected rate, there is enough space and margin in the day for plenty of extras, we feel reasonably settled in the country where we have now lived for a year. Like many other homeschooling mothers, I have felt lonely and isolated at times; I can be surrounded by people, and yet somehow don't feel the deep sense of connection and understanding for which I yearn. However, through chatting with friends and reading blogs by likeminded writers, I realise that this is quite a common feeling when the children are young. I am reminded that firstly this is just a season which will pass oh so very quickly, and secondly that this challenge will resolve to be replaced by others; I simply need to trust God for today. It helps a little to know this - and reminds me of the importance of contentment and obedience to the commandment 'Do not covet'.

But I haven't much to write about that! I could tell you that I feel tired, often lonely, sometimes discouraged. I could discuss some of the more specific challenges that are in our lives, but none of these feels very significant. It is simply 'life'.

However, when I contemplated that feeling of 'having nothing to say', I began to reflect on our culture and worldview (I am referring to that of a person growing up in the UK). There is something that feels the need to make a statement, to be fresh and interesting, to have significance. Facebook is testimony to that - people making status updates containing trivial information in the misguided belief that people are interested and care about what they had for breakfast or what their 'selfie' looks like today. Our current generation are being raised with a strange sense of entitlement; I've reflected on this elsewhere, how we have reached the point where students are formally complaining if they do not attain top grades rather than being able to accept that their work simply had not made that standard.

Does this view affect our parenting? I believe it does: the danger of prevailing worldviews is that they can subtly influence our thinking without us really appreciating what is happening. We all want our children to be 'above average', whereas basic maths tells us that it is impossible for every child to be above average. Is there a secret part of us which wants to be able to show 'evidence' of our excellent parenting, and if homeschooling, of our excellent tuition? Do we expect every day to be marked be achievement, excellence, progress and exhilaration? Is this a realistic expectation?

In 1 Timothy 2:2, the Apostle Paul calls us to live, 'peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness'. That is a far greater aim, a far more beautiful picture than the more superficial 'excitement' that is sometimes craved in our current generation.

So on reflection, as I considered that I 'had nothing to write about', instead I can write with great thankfulness for several reasons:

1) That we can worship the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and have family worship underpinning all that we do
2) That we are settled into a routine and pattern
3) That steady progress is being made, with some good and some not-so-good days
4) That we haven't faced any life-defining challenges in recent months
5) That I can seek to shape my childrens' worldview so that they do not expect every day to be full of 'excitement' but rather to life quiet and godly lives in our community

No comments:

Post a Comment